MENU

Woolies sitting on $1.1 billion land bank

Supermarket retailer Woolworths (ASX: WOW) and its US partner Lowe’s are holding more than  $1 billion in property, as they rollout their joint venture hardware chain, Masters.

Masters is estimated to be planning, excavating and building on around 100 active sites, to add to the 31 stores already opened. The retailer had set itself a target of reaching 150 stores nationwide by 2015. Woolies has also acquired a substantial number of independent hardware stores, and the Masters business now includes brands such as Home Timber & Hardware, Thrifty Link and Plants Plus.

Masters recently paid $21 million to acquire the Hardings Hardware business, giving it six hardware stores, with three in Victoria, two in Queensland and one in South Australia.

According to The Age, financial documents lodged with the corporate regulator, the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC), show that the joint venture held $502 million worth of development properties, as well as an extra $595 million in freehold land, warehouses, retail and other sites. The Age also reports that despite posting a $98 million loss in fiscal 2013, Masters was sitting on assets of $2.2 billion, with virtually no debt.

Woolworths owns 66% of Masters, with Lowe’s holding the other 34%. The hardware chain has Wesfarmers’ (ASX: WES) Bunnings and Metcash’s (ASX: MTS) Mitre 10 stores in its sights, and we could see the big two dominate the hardware market, much like they do with supermarkets, liquor stores and service stations. Metcash’s Mitre 10 stores are likely to play a similar role to its IGA supermarkets, with a small but important share of the market.

Bunnings itself has ramped up plans to increase its number of stores, investing around $1.5 billion to launch 78 new stores over the next three years, as it tries to defend its market dominant position in the hardware sector.

Foolish takeaway

Woolworths chief executive Gran O’Brien expects Masters to break even in 2015/2016, as the stores reach maturity, and economies of scale start to have a positive effect.  We could also see Woolworths offload the property backing its Masters stores into a listed trust, much like Bunnings has done with BWP Trust (ASX: BWP).

Interested in our #1 dividend-paying stock? Discover The Motley Fool's favourite income idea for 2013-2014 in our brand-new, FREE research report, including a full investment analysis! Simply click here for your FREE copy of "The Motley Fool's Top Dividend Stock for 2013-2014."

Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King owns shares in Woolworths and BWP Trust. You can follow Mike on Twitter @TMFKinga

The 5 mining stocks we’re recommending in 2019…

For decades, Australian mining companies have minted money for individual investors like you and me. But if you believe the pundits and talking heads on TV, those days are long gone. Finito! Behind us forever…

We say nothing could be further from the truth. To earn the really massive returns, you’ve got to fish where others aren’t fishing—and the mining sector could be primed for a resurgence. That’s why top Motley Fool analysts just revealed their exciting new research on 5 ASX miners they believe could help you profit in 2019 and beyond…

Including:

The best way we see to play the global zinc shortage… Our #1 favourite large-cap miner (hint: it’s not BHP)… one early-stage gold miner we think could hit the motherlode… Plus two more surprising companies you probably haven’t heard of yet!

For free access to our brand-new research, simply click here or the link below. But be warned, this research is available free for a limited time only, and we reserve the right to withdraw it at any time.

Click here for your FREE report!