Local shares continued their ascent today, setting a new 2016 high for the benchmark index.
Here’s a quick recap:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) up 0.5% to 5643 points
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) up 0.5% to 5691 points
- AUD/USD at US 72.43 cents
- Iron Ore at US$79.19 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin
- Gold at US$1,131.09 an ounce
- Brent oil at US$54.62 a barrel
Sydney Airport Holdings Ltd (ASX: SYD) was one of the most heavily traded shares following its sharp decline on Wednesday. Its shares fell another 1% today.
Small-cap Bulletproof Group Ltd (ASX: BPF) slipped 13.7% following its revenue downgrade this morning.
Caltex Australia Limited (ASX: CTX) declined 1.2% after it announced a major acquisition of a New Zealand-based company this morning.
Aged care operator Estia Health Ltd (ASX: EHE) was among the worst stocks. Its shares dropped 5.3%.
On a much more positive note, Bega Cheese Ltd (ASX: BGA) was one of the market’s top performers again today. Its shares gained 6%. TPG Telecom Ltd (ASX: TPM) and Vocus Communications Limited (ASX: VOC) were strong too, lifting 3.9% and 3.5%, respectively.
Here are Thursday’s top stories:
- 3 tech shares I’m tipping for market-thumping returns in 2017
- Why the Bega Cheese Ltd share price is soaring on its infant formula update
- Why the Bulletproof Group Ltd share price is tumbling on lower guidance
- Do you own the ASX equivalent to Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway?
- 5 dividend shares on my watch list for 2017
- 3 shares I wish I bought at the start of 2016
Each of these 3 companies has the potential to set your hard-earned capital on fire. Yet many ASX investors still have these ticking time bombs sitting in their portfolios! And they don’t have a clue what’s coming...
So if you do just one thing for yourself and your finances today, be sure you check out this newly updated report – getting the full details on the 3 “rotten” shares our Foolish experts believe you MUST avoid today.
Simply click here to receive your copy of "3 'Rotten' Shares Every ASX Investor Must Avoid" right now.
The Motley Fool Australia's parent company Motley Fool Holdings Inc. owns shares of Berkshire Hathaway (B shares). Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.