MENU

WAM Microcap Limited just became a substantial shareholder of Adairs Ltd

WAM Microcap Limited (ASX: WMI) is a listed investment company (LIC) that focuses on the small end of the Australian share market. It looks for small caps with market capitalisations of less than $300 million at the time of acquisition.

It has had a roaring start to listed life with the portfolio growing by 23.6% before fees since inception in June 2017.

I thought it was a very interesting move that WAM Microcap announced it, along with other WAM LICs, became a substantial shareholder of Adairs Ltd (ASX: ADH) on 14 May 2018 by taking a 6.19% stake.

Adairs is a nationwide home furnishings company with over 160 stores with five different store formats of Adairs, Adairs Homemaker, Adairs Kids, UHR and Adairs Outlets.

The company says it’s a vertically integrated product design, development, sourcing, distribution and retail operation. Around 90% of Adairs products are its own private brands, whilst the other 10% is third party national brands.

It also has a membership programme of $19.95 for two years which provides access to lower prices in-store and online, access to exclusive offers & events and free delivery for online orders.

The Adairs share price has recovered strongly over the past year, with the share price rising by 193%.

Last month Adairs upgraded its FY18 guidance to have slightly higher sales, a better gross profit margin, higher earnings before interest and tax (EBIT) and lower capital investment than previously guided.

It’s a fairly common feature that once a company has upgraded its guidance it is fairly likely to improve its guidance again, or at least continue on an upwards trend.

The Adairs CEO said that the company is confident in its momentum for the rest of the financial year and will provide a solid platform for continued growth into FY19.

Foolish takeaway

Even after the strong share price rise, Adairs is only trading at 18x FY17’s earnings, with a sizeable increase in EBIT expected in FY18. The Adairs share price could do well between now and its report, but it’s not the type of investment I’d make. I’m happy to get my exposure through WAM Microcap.

Instead, I’d rather invest my money into this exciting growth share which could grow even faster than Adairs this year.

Breaking news: ASX companies set to raise dividends!

It's been a nail-biter of a reporting season here in the first half of 2018.

But the real action, in my opinion, is what companies are doing with dividends.

What does this mean for you? Well there is one stock I've found that could very well turn out to be THE best buy of 2018. And while there's no such thing as a 'sure thing' when it comes to investing - this ripper might come as close as I've ever seen.

Click here it's FREE!

Motley Fool contributor Tristan Harrison owns shares of WAM MICRO FPO. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.

The 5 mining stocks we’re recommending in 2019…

For decades, Australian mining companies have minted money for individual investors like you and me. But if you believe the pundits and talking heads on TV, those days are long gone. Finito! Behind us forever…

We say nothing could be further from the truth. To earn the really massive returns, you’ve got to fish where others aren’t fishing—and the mining sector could be primed for a resurgence. That’s why top Motley Fool analysts just revealed their exciting new research on 5 ASX miners they believe could help you profit in 2019 and beyond…

Including:

The best way we see to play the global zinc shortage… Our #1 favourite large-cap miner (hint: it’s not BHP)… one early-stage gold miner we think could hit the motherlode… Plus two more surprising companies you probably haven’t heard of yet!

For free access to our brand-new research, simply click here or the link below. But be warned, this research is available free for a limited time only, and we reserve the right to withdraw it at any time.

Click here for your FREE report!