Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) indices finished lower on Thursday.
Here’s a short recap of the Australian market:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) lower 2.85% to 6,408.10
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) lower 2.80% to 6,490.80
- AUD/USD at US 68 cents
- Gold at US$1,514.83 an ounce
- Brent Oil at US$59.26 a barrel
However, there were also some painful profit reports. The Orora Ltd (ASX: ORA) share price suffered a 16% fall after reporting.
Stock exchange company ASX Ltd (ASX: ASX) reported growth but the share price still fell 2.7%.
Finally, the share price of Telstra Corporation Ltd (ASX: TLS) fell over 2% after cutting the dividend and revealing another painful profit plunge.
Here are some of today’s top stories:
- QBE shares lift as ROE, dividends, and profits surge
- Breville just juiced profits, dividends, and ROE higher
- Woodside shares slammed on profit report, Pluto blowout, oil price tumble
- Sydney Airport share price falters after half-year profit slides
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
Motley Fool contributor Tristan Harrison owns shares of InvoCare Limited. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of and has recommended Blackmores Limited, Telstra Limited, and Treasury Wine Estates Limited. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of Super Retail Group Limited. The Motley Fool Australia has recommended InvoCare Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.