Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) indices finished lower on Tuesday.
Here’s a short recap of the Australian market:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) lower 2.44% to 6,478.10
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) lower 2.45% to 6,546.40
- AUD/USD at US 68 cents
- Gold at US$1,464.70 an ounce
- Brent Oil at US$60.44 a barrel
Interestingly, despite the bad day for a lot of shares, the Fortescue Metals Group Limited (ASX: FMG) share price increased by 3.1% thanks to a strong Australian trade surplus.
It has been a shocking day for shareholders of Rural Funds Group (ASX: RFF), its share price fell 42% in reaction to a short report before going into a trading halt. However, management have said in The Australian that they will defend against the claims.
Finally, the Centuria Industrial Reit (ASX: CIP) share price fell 1.25% after releasing its FY19 result.
Here are some of today’s top stories:
- The RBA kept rates on hold, but it won’t for long
- Magellan shares sink despite operating leverage growing on record $89.7b in FUM
- Is the ANZ share price a buy?
- Woolworths automation plans can’t stop share price sinking lower
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
Tristan Harrison owns shares of RURALFUNDS STAPLED. The Motley Fool Australia's parent company Motley Fool Holdings Inc. owns shares of WiseTech Global. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of and has recommended RURALFUNDS STAPLED. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of Shopping Centres Australasia Property Group. The Motley Fool Australia has recommended SEEK Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.
- Investors wanting safe income should own these 3 ASX shares – August 11, 2020 4:23pm
- Is the Vanguard US Total Market Shares Index ETF a good long-term investment? – August 11, 2020 3:25pm
- Is the Telstra share price a buy? – August 11, 2020 12:43pm