Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) indices finished lower on Friday.
Here’s a short recap of the Australian market:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) lower 0.69% to 5,467.60
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) lower 0.71% to 5,533.30
- AUD/USD at US 71 cents
- Gold at US$1,258.88 an ounce
- Brent Oil at US$54.70 a barrel
The best-performing ASX 200 share today was gold miner Resolute Mining Limited (ASX: RSG) which saw its share price rise by 6.4% thanks to the declining share market. Other gold miners also got a boost including Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST) which went up by 3.7%.
It was another tough day for lithium miners which are reeling after yesterday’s disappointing price announcement by Orocobre Limited (ASX: ORE) which saw its share price fall another 11% today. The Pilbara Minerals Ltd (ASX: PLS) share price also dropped 8.7%.
Here are some of today’s top stories:
- Will the worst Santa crash in 16 years trigger a meltdown in the ASX 200 in 2019?
- Can the Pro Medicus gravy train rumble on in 2019?
- The bear roars for the NASDAQ
- Should you buy Bank of Queensland shares for their massive 8.3% dividend yield?
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
Motley Fool contributor Tristan Harrison has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of Insurance Australia Group Limited, Vista Group Int'l, and WiseTech Global. The Motley Fool Australia has recommended Integrated Research Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.
- 2 ASX 200 growth shares to buy – January 25, 2021 12:38pm
- 3 ASX dividend shares rated as strong buys by brokers – January 25, 2021 8:57am
- Wilson Asset Management thinks these 2 small cap ASX shares are a buy – January 24, 2021 10:18am