Every week or so portfolio management and administration software tool Sharesight reveals to its Twitter followers what the most actively traded shares are for retail investors according to its own records.
Sharesight has a large amount of retail share traders so its records should give a pretty good idea of what are the most popular shares to buy and sell.
If a stock is being bought or sold heavily it’s a good indicator of sentiment if nothing else. Over the short term sentiment can drive shares higher or lower, but over the medium term it’s not really relevant as only financial results or earnings send shares higher or lower.
Still, let’s take a look at some of the 10 most heavily traded shares for the week to November 25 according to Sharesight subscribers.
- AfterPay Touch Group Ltd (ASX: APT) the buy-now-pay-later startup is very popular due to its huge growth and its seemingly successful start to its push into the giant US market.
- Coles Group Limited (ASX: COL) is being heavily bought by retail investors probably due to the strong reputation of the Coles supermarkets.
- CSL Limited (ASX: CSL) is an $80 billion healthcare giant that saw a little more buying than selling over the week as it divides the bulls and bears.
- The A2 Milk Company Ltd (ASX: A2M) saw marginally more buying, and it recently produced yet another very strong sales and trading update at its AGM.
- Maca Ltd (ASX: MLD) saw some heavy buying, even after the mining services business issued a November 14 profit warning.
- National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB) saw marginally more buying as this dividend favourite remains popular despite facing some headwinds due to the falling housing market.
- Wesfarmers Ltd (ASX: WES) saw some buying perhaps in reaction to new broker assessments of the newly structured investment conglomerate.
- Telstra Corporation Ltd (ASX: TLS) is a favourite of retail investors probably due to its market leader status and reputation as a dividend stock.
- BHP Billiton Limited (ASX: BHP) is another widely held favourite of mum and dad investors, its scale across the mining industry means it’s no surprise to find it on the list.
- Citadel Group Ltd (ASX: CGL), the software business saw some heavy selling perhaps on valuation grounds.
Remember this is just Sharesight’s record of some of the most popular shares to trade for retail investors. The bottom line is that the only thing that really counts when it comes to share market investing is making money.
As such The Motley Fool knows of five shares that might thump the returns of the above….
Motley Fool contributor Yulia Mosaleva owns shares of CSL Ltd. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of and has recommended Telstra Limited and Wesfarmers Limited. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of A2 Milk, AFTERPAY T FPO, Citadel Group Ltd, COLESGROUP DEF SET, and National Australia Bank Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.