Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) indices finished lower on Wednesday.
Here’s a short recap of the Australian market:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) higher 0.46% to 6,190.00
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) higher 0.44% to 6,297.00
- AUD/USD at US 72 cents
- Gold at US$1,197.90 an ounce
- Brent Oil at US$79.18 a barrel
The best-performing ASX 200 share today was resource business Independence Group NL (ASX: IGO), its share price went up by 5.7%. Another resource business that went higher today was Sandfire Resources NL (ASX: SFR), the share price went up 5.1%.
At the red end of the ASX, telecommunications giant TPG Telecom Ltd (ASX: TPM) shares fell 5.4% with investors disappointed with yesterday’s released result.
Aged care providers had another tough day today with brokers saying the sector could be one to avoid due to a potential upcoming Royal Commission. The Estia Health Ltd (ASX: EHE) share price is down 3.6%, Japara Healthcare Ltd (ASX: JHC) shares fell 6.7% and the Regis Healthcare Ltd (ASX: REG) share price declined 1.6%.
Here are some of today’s top stories:
- Why you shouldn’t sell shares before a trade war “crash”
- Is the Afterpay Touch Group Ltd (ASX:APT) share price a buy?
- Should bargain hunters look at aged care shares like Estia Health Ltd for opportunities?
- The Bega Cheese Ltd (ASX:BGA) share purchase plan price is now below the traded price
Motley Fool contributor Tristan Harrison owns shares of COSTA GRP FPO and JAPARA DEF SET. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of and has recommended COSTA GRP FPO, Premier Investments Limited, and TPG Telecom Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.
- Got $1,000? You should buy one of these 8 ASX shares – October 24, 2020 9:28am
- Here’s my top ASX share to buy and hold through the 2020s – October 24, 2020 8:45am
- Why Rural Funds (ASX:RFF) is a great ASX dividend share – October 24, 2020 7:30am