MENU

BHP Billiton Limited (ASX:BHP) just invested US$2.9 billion in iron ore

BHP Billiton Limited (ASX: BHP) has today announced the approval of US$2.9 billion in capital expenditure for the Pilbara-based South Flank iron ore project worth a total of US$3.4 billion.

BHP own 85% of the project, with Japanese companies ITOCHU Minerals and Mitsui Iron Ore Corporation owning the remaining 15% interest.

The South Flank project will fully replace production at the Yandi mine, which is reaching the end of its economic life, with the first ore from South Flank likely to yield by 2021 and at least a 25-year life expectancy on the project.

The news should be uplifting for investors after BHP came under pressure from declining oil prices earlier this week, alongside energy producing peers Santos Ltd (ASX: STO) and Rio Tinto Limited (ASX: RIO).

BHP’s shares have held their own well of late, despite global pressures, including a worker strike at Rio’s Escondida mine in Chile earlier this month – a project in which BHP has a 57.5% stake.

OUR #1 dividend pick to grow your wealth over the new financial year is revealed for FREE here!

Financial year 2018 is here and The Motley Fool’s dividend detective Andrew Page has revealed his must buy dividend share to grow your wealth in 2018.

You might not know this market leader's name, but it's rapidly expanding into a highly profitable niche market here in Australia. Even better, the shares boast a strong, fully franked dividend that should balloon in the years to come. In other words, we're looking at the holy grail of incredible long-term growth potential AND income you can watch accruing in your account in real time!

Simply click here to grab your FREE copy of this up-to-the-minute research report on our #1 dividend share recommendation now.

Motley Fool contributor Carin Pickworth has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.

The 5 mining stocks we’re recommending in 2019…

For decades, Australian mining companies have minted money for individual investors like you and me. But if you believe the pundits and talking heads on TV, those days are long gone. Finito! Behind us forever…

We say nothing could be further from the truth. To earn the really massive returns, you’ve got to fish where others aren’t fishing—and the mining sector could be primed for a resurgence. That’s why top Motley Fool analysts just revealed their exciting new research on 5 ASX miners they believe could help you profit in 2019 and beyond…

Including:

The best way we see to play the global zinc shortage… Our #1 favourite large-cap miner (hint: it’s not BHP)… one early-stage gold miner we think could hit the motherlode… Plus two more surprising companies you probably haven’t heard of yet!

For free access to our brand-new research, simply click here or the link below. But be warned, this research is available free for a limited time only, and we reserve the right to withdraw it at any time.

Click here for your FREE report!