Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) indices finished higher on Monday.
Here’s a short recap of the Australian market:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) up 0.49% to 5,982.70
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) up 0.47% to 6,071.60
- AUD/USD at US 76 cents
- Gold at US$1,323.95 an ounce
- Brent Oil at US$74.19 a barrel
The biggest rise in the ASX200 today came from lithium miner Galaxy Resources Limited (ASX: GXY), after it came out of a trading halt and announced it has an estimate for Sal De Vida of a post-tax net present value of US$1.416 billion. The share price rose 6.25% today.
Another lithium miner to do well today was Orocobre Limited (ASX: ORE), it released its quarterly report and the market liked what it revealed with the share price charging 3.86% higher.
Investors must be thinking that Boral Limited (ASX: BLD) presents good value now as it rose by 4.4% today after previously dropping significantly due to a disappointing trading update.
At the other end of the performance table the worst performer was Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Ltd. (ASX: DMP), the AFR published a story today how the pizza franchisor is expanding by ‘splitting’ some of its current franchise stores into two different stores to increase delivery times etc, except the owners aren’t enjoying this strategy.
Here are some of today’s top stories:
- Big banks face $20bn wipe-out on property slump: Fitch
- Why weak share prices can deliver strong returns
- AMP Limited chair resigns amid Royal Commission storm
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
Motley Fool contributor Tristan Harrison has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of EXPERNCECO FPO. The Motley Fool Australia has recommended Domino's Pizza Enterprises Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.
- ASX 200 edges lower, Melbourne enters stage 4 lockdown – August 3, 2020 5:23pm
- Is the Wesfarmers or Rural Funds share price a buy for dividend income? – August 3, 2020 4:25pm
- WAM Microcap share price rises on big special dividend – August 3, 2020 3:16pm