Orica Ltd (ASX: ORI) was among the worst performers in today’s early trade on the ASX200, following the release of an update on the company’s outlook and review of operations – ahead of the half-year results announcement scheduled on May 7.
The commercial explosives producer forecasted a decline in EBIT for the first half of FY 2018, due to various factors, including:
- A non-cash impairment on the underperforming subsidiary Minova and an increase in provisions related to environmental commitments, weighing $300 million on aggregate
- Maintenance shutdowns at Yarwun and Kooragang Island plants and construction issues at the Burrup plant, impacting earnings by $17 million and $19 million respectively
- Adverse conditions in the cyanide market, where higher input prices and increased competition are driving down the margins.
On the upside, Orica expects full year sales volumes at the upper end of the guidance provided in November 2017, i.e. some 5% above the 3.65 million tonnes produced in 2017.
At the time of writing, Orica’s share price is down 3.7% to $17.96.
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of February 15th 2021
Motley Fool contributor Tommaso Autorino has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.
- Why the Freelancer Ltd (ASX:FLN) share price dropped 16% today – July 31, 2018 3:05pm
- The Syrah Resources Ltd (ASX:SYR) share price falls 7% on guidance downgrade – July 30, 2018 1:01pm
- AMP Limited (ASX:AMP) shares slide to new multi-year low on earnings downgrade – July 29, 2018 6:44pm