Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) indices finished higher on Friday.
Here’s a quick recap of the Aussie market:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) up 0.3%
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) up 0.4%
- AUD/USD at US 78.33 cents
- Gold at US$1,295 an ounce, up 0.5%
- Oil at US$50.98 a barrel, down 2.7%
Ramsay’s share price most likely reacted to news that the Government plans to make private healthcare more affordable for people under 30. When under-30’s take out health insurance (for the first time) they will receive a 2% discount every year before they turn 30, up to 10%. The changes will also slow premium increases.
BlueScope shares rallied strongly despite no material news being released by the company. Shares in the steel company have rallied 30% in 2017.
Further down the market, Galaxy Resources Limited (ASX: GXY) continued to charge higher, ending up 5%.
Amongst the worst-performing blue chip shares was Bank of Queensland Limited (ASX: BOQ), which fell 1.8%.
Further down the market, Lynas Corporation Ltd (ASX: LYC) fell 6.7%.
Here are today’s top stories:
- Are Wesfarmers Ltd shares cheap?
- 3 reasons I’d buy Challenger Ltd shares today
- Why Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Ltd shares have stormed higher today’
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of February 15th 2021
The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of Challenger Limited and Wesfarmers Limited. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- ALL ORDINARIES finishes higher Monday: 10 shares you missed – October 30, 2017 4:44pm
- Are these the secrets behind Australia’s best ASX investors? – October 30, 2017 3:43pm
- My Aussie Share Market Investing Do’s of 2017/2018 – October 30, 2017 1:13pm