The S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) finished lower on Friday.
Here’s a quick recap of global markets:
- FTSE 100 (UK): flat
- DAX (Germany): down 0.4%
- CAC 40 (France): down 0.3%
- Dow Jones (USA): down 0.1%
- NASDAQ (USA): down 0.2%
Here are today’s key stats:
- ASX 200: down 0.7%
- All Ordinaries: down 0.7%
- Australian dollar (A$) (AUDUSD): 73.82 cents
- Gold price: up 0.5%
- Copper: up 1.2%
- WTI Crude Oil: up 0.9%
The market started the day on an equal footing but fell as trading progressed. The worst performer of the day — and likely the week — were shares of Indian sandalwood producer, Quintis Ltd (ASX: QIN), which ended the day down another 35%. In total the company fell 72% this week after announcing the loss of a key contract — in December.
Further down the market, Bapcor Ltd (ASX: BAP), formerly Burson, fell 5.5%, while a2 Milk Company Ltd (Australia) (ASX: A2M) declined 5%. While no material news was released by a2 Milk, it appears the company’s CEO Geoffrey Babidge sold another 600,000 shares, taking his total sales to 5 million shares over the past 18 months.
Amongst the best-performing shares were those of mineral sands business, Iluka Resources Limited (ASX: ILU) which rose 4%.
Here are today’s top stories:
- 3 small-cap shares I WISH I bought
- 4 of my favourite dividend shares I’d buy today
- At $135 per share, is CSL Limited still an opportunity?
- Why gold miners are ending the week with a BANG
5 stocks under $5
We hear it over and over from investors, "I wish I had bought Altium or Afterpay when they were first recommended by The Motley Fool. I'd be sitting on a gold mine!" And it's true.
And while Altium and Afterpay have had a good run, we think these 5 other stocks are screaming buys. And you can buy them now for less than $5 a share!
*Extreme Opportunities returns as of June 5th 2020
The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of A2 Milk and Bapcor. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.
- ALL ORDINARIES finishes higher Monday: 10 shares you missed – October 30, 2017 4:44pm
- Are these the secrets behind Australia’s best ASX investors? – October 30, 2017 3:43pm
- My Aussie Share Market Investing Do’s of 2017/2018 – October 30, 2017 1:13pm