Here’s a quick recap of global markets:
- FTSE 100 (UK): down 0.22%
- DAX (Germany): up 0.13%
- CAC 40 (France): down 0.01%
- Dow Jones (USA): down 0.29%
- NASDAQ (USA): down 0.52%
Here are today’s key stats:
- ASX 200: down 0.7%
- All Ordinaries (ASX: XAO) (Index: ^AXAO): down 0.7%
- Australian dollar (A$) (AUDUSD): 75.95 cents
- Gold price: up 1%
- Copper: down 1%
- WTI Crude Oil: down 1%
- Iron ore: $US68 a tonne, according to The Metal Bulletin
Leading the ASX 200 lower today were shares of major iron ore miners following the $US 6 per tonne selloff in iron ore prices overnight. Here are the effects on share prices:
- BlueScope Steel Limited (ASX: BSL) – down 7.6%
- Fortescue Metals Group Limited (ASX: FMG) – down 6.8%
- Rio Tinto Limited (ASX: RIO) – down 4.6%
- BHP Billiton Limited (ASX: BHP) – down 4%
- South32 Ltd (ASX: S32) – down 4.5%
Also getting sold down on the ASX today were shares of Vocus Group and Telstra, falling 4.7% and 1.4%, respectively. In the past month, these companies are down 25% and 10%, respectively. Mesoblast Limited (ASX: MSB) and Vita Group Limited (ASX: VTG) were also sold off.
At the other end of the ASX performance tables, shares Independence Group NL (ASX: IGO), Afterpay Holdings Ltd (ASX: AFY), Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST) and Touchcorp Ltd (ASX: TCH) posted gains.
Here are today’s top stories:
- 8 ways to protect your Aussie share portfolio from a world war
- 1 simple investing mistake that can cost you thousands
- Here are 3 small-cap stars I would buy today
- Mega dividends: 3 shares paying more than 6%
- 3 shares perfect for nervous investors
Our experts here at The Motley Fool Australia have just released a fantastic report, detailing 5 dirt cheap shares that you can buy in 2020.
One stock is an Australian internet darling with a rock solid reputation and an exciting new business line that promises years (or even decades) of growth… while trading at an ultra-low price…
Another is a diversified conglomerate trading over 40% off it's high, all while offering a fully franked dividend yield over 3%...
Plus 3 more cheap bets that could position you to profit over the next 12 months!
See for yourself now. Simply click here or the link below to scoop up your FREE copy and discover all 5 shares. But you will want to hurry – this free report is available for a brief time only.
The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.