MENU

Is the Reserve Bank of Australia finished cutting interest rates?

Credit: Pixabay

Australia’s cash rate will remain unchanged at 1.75% for another month after the Reserve Bank of Australia decided to keep interest rates on hold through June.

The RBA cut the cash rate for the first time in 12 months in May – a decision which was followed by plenty of speculation that the next cut could come within one month. Indeed, that speculation was sparked by shockingly low inflation figures, while a stronger Australian dollar likely caused the board members to act at the time as well.

However, expectations for another interest rate cut in June have declined in recent days. Indeed, the ASX’s RBA Rate Indicator showed that market participants had priced in a mere 8% chance of a cut today, while 92% said there would be no change.

In saying that, however, the Australian dollar did rebound immediately after the decision was made public. It is fetching US 74.15 cents at the time of writing, compared to US 73.7 cents immediately prior, which suggests some participants had expected a cut.

In regards to inflation, the board said: “Inflation has been quite low. Given very subdued growth in labour costs and very low cost pressures elsewhere in the world, this is expected to remain the case for some time.”

However, it said that overall economic growth is continuing, although business investment is something it will keep an eye on. It will also watch the appreciating Australian dollar to ensure it is not hindering the economy’s growth prospects, including with exports.

Overall, it said: “Taking account of the available information, and having eased monetary policy at its May meeting, the Board judged that holding the stance of policy unchanged at this meeting would be consistent with sustainable growth in the economy and inflation returning to target over time.”

It probably wasn’t what high-yield dividend investors wanted to read, which would explain the sudden pullback in the share prices of businesses such as Telstra Corporation Ltd (ASX: TLS) and Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ASX: CBA) after the announcement was released. These shares are among the country’s most popular dividend-paying shares, so a lower interest rate would likely have led to an increase in demand for them.

Although the RBA didn’t really indicate that it had even pondered cutting interest rates today, it is highly likely that it will stick with lower interest rates for the foreseeable future – perhaps a number of years.

While further interest rate cuts are expected at some point in the coming months, dividend investors can at least be confident in the excellent returns offered by their shares compared to other ‘risk-free’ assets such as government bonds or term deposits.

If you're looking for new dividend ideas for your portfolio, this "dirt cheap" company is growing like gangbusters, and trading on a fat dividend yield, FULLY FRANKED. With interest rates set to stay at these low levels for years to come, for income-hungry investors, including SMSFs, this ASX company could be the "Holy Grail" of dividend plays for 2016.

Click here to gain access to this comprehensive FREE investment report, including the name of this fast growing ASX dividend share. No credit card required.

Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.

Two New Stock Picks Every Month!

Not to alarm you, but you’re about to miss a very important event! Chief Investment Advisor Scott Phillips and his team at Motley Fool Share Advisor are about to reveal their latest official stock recommendation. The premium “buy alert” will be unveiled to members and you can be among the first to act on the tip.

Don’t let this opportunity pass you by – this is your chance to get in early!

Simply enter your email now to find out how you can get instant access.

By clicking this button, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. We will use your email address only to keep you informed about updates to our website and about other products and services we think might interest you. You can unsubscribe from Take Stock at anytime. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide (FSG) for more information.