National Australia Bank Ltd. shares lift on Clydesdale Bank update

Credit: NAB

Shares of National Australia Bank Ltd. (ASX: NAB) are trading firmly higher following an ASX update this morning.

In an announcement to the ASX, NAB said the proposed demerger of its UK subsidiary, the Clydesdale Yorkshire Banking Group (CYBG) is proceeding. It said the performance of CYBG in the three months to 31 December 2015 was in-line with expectations, noting a 6.6% growth in the bank’s loan book and “strong” asset quality.

CYBG has long been a lagger for the NAB Banking Group and is often blamed for the bank’s relatively poor share price performance. Indeed, many NAB executive management teams have come and gone trying to rid the bank of its poorly performing assets.

Under the control of CEO Andrew Thorburn, however, NAB has divested its US bank, sold most of its insurance business to Japan’s Nippon Life, and is now pushing ahead with the divestment of CYBG in 2016.

It’s NAB’s intention to divest 75% of CYBG to current shareholders, listing the new shares on the ASX, with the remaining 25% going to new institutional owners on the London Stock Exchange.

Foolish takeaway

NAB shares have long underperformed their peers, largely thanks to its poorly performing non-core banking assets in the UK and, to a lesser extent, the USA. While CEO Andrew Thorburn has done a great job thus far reducing the bank’s exposure to these assets, I think there are superior alternatives in the ASX financial sector to consider buying first.

Will the market CRASH in 2016?

With the ASX flirting with 5,000, some experts are predicting a market crash. Discover our Foolish experts' advice on what YOU should do in the event of a crisis -- simply click here for your FREE copy of our newly updated report, "What to Do When the Sharemarket Crashes". Click here, it's FREE!.

Motley Fool writer/analyst Owen Raszkiewicz has no position in any stocks mentioned.

Owen welcomes your feedback on Google plus (see below), LinkedIn or you can follow him on Twitter @ASXinvest.

Unless otherwise noted, the author does not have a position in any stocks mentioned by the author in the comments below. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.

Two New Stock Picks Every Month!

Not to alarm you, but you’re about to miss a very important event! Chief Investment Advisor Scott Phillips and his team at Motley Fool Share Advisor are about to reveal their latest official stock recommendation. The premium “buy alert” will be unveiled to members and you can be among the first to act on the tip.

Don’t let this opportunity pass you by – this is your chance to get in early!

Simply enter your email now to find out how you can get instant access.

By clicking this button, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. We will use your email address only to keep you informed about updates to our website and about other products and services we think might interest you. You can unsubscribe from Take Stock at anytime. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide (FSG) for more information.