The local sharemarket enjoyed a remarkably strong start to the week today as optimism rose sky-high.
Here’s a quick recap:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) up 1.9% to 5,150 points
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) up 1.9% to 5,184 points
- AUD/USD at US 70.60 cents
- Iron Ore at US$53.14 a tonne, according to the Metal Bulletin
- Gold at US$1,135.06 an ounce
- Brent oil at US$48.33 a barrel
The sharp burst of confidence came as a result of a strong lead set by Wall Street on Friday night. US equity markets surged after a weaker-than-expected jobs report which investors hope will prolong an inevitable interest rate hike.
The gold miners were the biggest winners for the day after the gold price surged 2.1%. Newcrest Mining Limited (ASX: NCM) and Beadell Resources Ltd (ASX: BDR) rallied 9.1% and 10.3%, while Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST) gained 6%.
BHP Billiton Limited (ASX: BHP) was the best of the majors, surging 4%, while Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ASX: ANZ) and National Australia Bank Ltd. (ASX: NAB) topped the banks, rising 1.7% each.
Only three stocks from the main bourse ended the day in the red. The worst of them was Ainsworth Game Technology Limited (ASX: AGI), slipping 2.9%, while the market’s top performer was Liquefied Natural Gas Ltd (ASX: LNG). It rose 15.6%.
Here are Monday’s top stories:
- Will the Reserve Bank cut interest rates on Tuesday?
- 3 pedal-to-the-metal GROWTH stocks
- Here’s why Veda Group Ltd’s (ASX: VED) shares could soar
- Newcrest Mining shares soar: Here’s why
- Will Woodside Petroleum Limited (ASX: WPL) lift its bid for Oil Search Limited (ASX: OSH)?
- 4 reasons Primary Health Care Limited (ASX: PRY) is no bargain
Our experts here at The Motley Fool Australia have just released a fantastic report, detailing 5 dirt cheap shares that you can buy in 2020.
One stock is an Australian internet darling with a rock solid reputation and an exciting new business line that promises years (or even decades) of growth… while trading at an ultra-low price…
Another is a diversified conglomerate trading over 40% off its high, all while offering a fully franked dividend yield over 3%...
Plus 3 more cheap bets that could position you to profit over the next 12 months!
See for yourself now. Simply click here or the link below to scoop up your FREE copy and discover all 5 shares. But you will want to hurry – this free report is available for a brief time only.
Motley Fool contributor Ryan Newman has no position in any stocks mentioned. Unless otherwise noted, the author does not have a position in any stocks mentioned by the author in the comments below. You can follow Ryan on Twitter @ASXvalueinvest.
The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.