The S&P/ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) posted a sharp fall of 1.5% today, following falls on US markets overnight. The Dow Jones dropped 1%, while the S&P 500 fell 1.3% with investors appearing nervous about upcoming quarterly earnings results for US-listed stocks.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Alumina Limited (ASX: AWC) closed 4.33% higher to $1.20.
- Western Areas ltd (ASX: WSA) added 4.3% to $2.67.
- Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST) climbed 3.2% to 95.5 cents.
- Alacer Gold Corp (ASX: AQG) rose 3% to $2.34.
- Telecom Corp of New Zealand (ASX: TEL) gained 1.9% to $2.18.
These stocks were Tuesday’s losers.
- Forge Group Limited (ASX: FGE) dropped 14.4% to $1.07.
- Mineral Resources Limited (ASX: MIN) fell 6.9% to $10.59.
- Henderson Group plc (ASX: HGG) lost 6% to $4.04.
- JB Hi-Fi Limited (ASX: JBH) slipped 5.8% to $20.81.
- Regis Resources Limited (ASX: RRL) closed down 5.5% to $2.90.
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of February 15th 2021
Motley Fool contributor Tim McArthur does not own shares in any of the companies mentioned in this article.
- 3 ASX stocks to buy now to get rich later – October 20, 2016 1:34pm
- Why this fund manager is worried about the sustainability of bank dividends – October 18, 2016 7:56am
- Here’s why I might buy these 2 beaten-up share bargains – October 17, 2016 4:18pm