The S&P / ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has soared, hitting another new high and finishing up more than 1% at 5,443.6. Overseas markets were all up on Friday, with the Dow Jones and the S&P 500 both rising 0.4%, while the UK's FTSE 100 added 0.1%. Most sectors finished in the black, with health care and telecommunications leading the way with rises of 1.8% and 1.4% respectively.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Iress Limited (ASX: IRE) soared 6% to $9.95
- Fortescue Metals Group (ASX: FMG) climbed 4% to $5.42
- Arrium (ASX: ARI) ex- OneSteel rose 3.9% to $1.47
- Fairfax Media (ASX: FXJ) added 3.6% to 58 cents
- IOOF Holdings (ASX: IFL) closed up 3.6% at $9.30
These stocks were the losers on the day.