The S&P / ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has closed up 0.2% to 5,215.6, shrugging off the impact of the US government shutdown. The gold sector followed the gold price down, losing more than 3%, while consumer discretionary and information technology sectors both saw gains of more than 1%.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Horizon Oil (ASX: HZN) rocketed up 11.1% to 35 cents
- Paladin Energy (ASX: PDN) climbed 10.4% to 53 cents
- BlueScope Steel (ASX: BSL) rose 6.2% to $4.83
- Panaust (ASX: PNA) closed up 2.9% at $2.12
- Aristocrat Leisure (ASX: ALL) added 2.7% to $4.88
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- Linc Energy (ASX: LNC) slumped 10.5% to $1.257
- Ausdrill (ASX: ASL) dropped 4.8% to $1.40
- Resolute Mining (ASX: RSG) lost 4.7% to 61.5 cents
- Beadell Resources (ASX: BDR) fell 4% to 83.5 cents
- Newcrest Mining (ASX: NCM) slipped 4% to $10.95
Looking to pick up a non-bank high dividend-paying stock? Discover The Motley Fool’s favourite income idea for 2013-2014 in our brand-new, FREE research report, including a full investment analysis! Simply click here for your FREE copy of “The Motley Fool’s Top Dividend Stock for 2013-2014.”
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King doesn’t own shares in any companies mentioned.