The S&P / ASX 200 Index (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) has closed up 0.2% to 5,215.6, shrugging off the impact of the US government shutdown. The gold sector followed the gold price down, losing more than 3%, while consumer discretionary and information technology sectors both saw gains of more than 1%.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Horizon Oil (ASX: HZN) rocketed up 11.1% to 35 cents
- Paladin Energy (ASX: PDN) climbed 10.4% to 53 cents
- BlueScope Steel (ASX: BSL) rose 6.2% to $4.83
- Panaust (ASX: PNA) closed up 2.9% at $2.12
- Aristocrat Leisure (ASX: ALL) added 2.7% to $4.88
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- Linc Energy (ASX: LNC) slumped 10.5% to $1.257
- Ausdrill (ASX: ASL) dropped 4.8% to $1.40
- Resolute Mining (ASX: RSG) lost 4.7% to 61.5 cents
- Beadell Resources (ASX: BDR) fell 4% to 83.5 cents
- Newcrest Mining (ASX: NCM) slipped 4% to $10.95
Looking to pick up a non-bank high dividend-paying stock? Discover The Motley Fool’s favourite income idea for 2013-2014 in our brand-new, FREE research report, including a full investment analysis! Simply click here for your FREE copy of “The Motley Fool’s Top Dividend Stock for 2013-2014.”
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King doesn’t own shares in any companies mentioned.
Our experts here at The Motley Fool Australia have just released a fantastic report, detailing 5 dirt cheap shares that you can buy in 2020.
One stock is an Australian internet darling with a rock solid reputation and an exciting new business line that promises years (or even decades) of growth… while trading at an ultra-low price…
Another is a diversified conglomerate trading over 40% off its high, all while offering a fully franked dividend yield over 3%...
Plus 3 more cheap bets that could position you to profit over the next 12 months!
See for yourself now. Simply click here or the link below to scoop up your FREE copy and discover all 5 shares. But you will want to hurry – this free report is available for a brief time only.